The Town, in concert with other regional municipalities have adopted PLASTIC BAG REDUCTION BY-LAWS, effective June 30, 2021.
What this means is that no business will be permitted to provide shoppers with plastic check-out bags. Customers are encouraged to bring their own re-usable bags.
There are some exemptions:
- for loose bulk items such as fruit, vegetables, nuts, grains or candy;
- Packages for loose small hardware items such as nails and bolts;
- containers or wrap for frozen foods, meat poultry, or fish (whether prepackaged or not);
- wrap for flowers or potted plants;
- protection of prepared foods or bakery goods that are not pre-packaged;
- bags containing drugs received from a pharmacy;
- transporting live fish;
- protection for linens, bedding or other similar large items that cannot easily fit into a re-usable bag;
- protection for newspapers or other printed material intended to be left at the customer’s residence or place of work;
- protection of clothes after dry-cleaning
- protection of tires that cannot easily fit in a reusable bag;
- or customers purchasing of bulk or packaged multiple bags for use at home or business.