Published: July 5, 2022 @ 12:00 noon
On behalf of the Grand Bay-Westfield RCMP
The Town of Grand Bay-Westfield is experiencing noise and driving on the roadway complaints, regarding the use of off-road vehicles within our community.
The Grand Bay-Westfield RCMP encourages all-terrain vehicle (ATV) enthusiasts to adhere to the Off-Road Vehicle Act, with particular attention to the following sections.
Section 16 of the Off-Road Vehicle Act states:
Subject to the regulations and any municipal bylaw enacted under section 37, no person shall operate an off-road vehicle within 7.5 metres of the travelled portion of a highway.
The penalty for Section 16 of the Off-Road Vehicle Act is $292.50
Section 23 of the Off-Road Vehicle Act states:
No person shall drive an off-road vehicle if
(a) it is not equipped with a muffler and exhaust system in continuous operation and in good working
order that comply with the manufacturer’s original specifications or, if the muffler or exhaust system was replaced, that complies with the equivalent manufacturer’s specifications of the replacement muffler or exhaust system,
(b) it is equipped with a muffler cut-out or by-pass, or a similar device, or
(c) it is causing excessive or unusual noise.
The penalty for Section 23 of the Off-Road Vehicle Act is $172.50
New Brunswick RCMP will continue to patrol roadways and trails to enforce safe off-road vehicle use. Those who violate the Off-Road Vehicle Act could face penalties and have their vehicle seized.
The Grand Bay-Westfield RCMP also encourages ATV riders to follow these safety tips when on the trails:
- Start with safety training. This will prepare you to confidently and safely enjoy your ATV.
- Stay on marked trails except where travel across a roadway is necessary.
- Obey the rules of the road/trail and respect posted signs, as well as the rights of other riders.
- Ride sober. Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a criminal offence and can lead to serious injuries or even death for riders, passengers and others.
- Always wear protective clothing, including a helmet, gloves and eye protection. Helmets are required, even if you are driving in a side-by-side.
- Tell someone when you are leaving and when you will be back. Avoid riding alone and carry a first aid kit, tow rope, overnight bag in case you need it.
- Do a pre-ride inspection every time you drive your ATV. Check the tires for wear and rims for damage. Look over your controls and made sure all cables and connections are intact.
Please help protect everyone by riding safely and responsibly.
The public is able to attend the Grand Bay-Westfield RCMP Detachment if they need to speak with an Officer, or may contact the main line at (506) 757-1020 or 1-888-506-7267. For the Grand Bay-Westfield RCMP Detachment contact information, visit here.
For more information on off-road vehicle requirements including the Off-Road Vehicle Act, visit here.